Tuesday, February 3, 2009

a volunteer what?!?!

Well. James is officially a volunteer fireman here in podunk. He went to the station today to pick up his pager that I'm told can wake the dead and to get his gear in order. He's not had any training yet, they just told him that when the pager goes off he's supposed get to the fire house, put his gear on, and wait to get told what to do. I can't wait to get a picture of this on here for all to see. He's really excited about it, but doesn't like not knowing what to do. He'll get training, but I guess when its volunteer training is not a must. Oh well. I told him he can't run into any burning buildings... fortunately for us... we don't have too many of those. This will be a great way for him to get to know some of the men in town. It seems like everybody our age is on the fire department and doesn't go to church. When all you've got is Casey's, the Post Office, and 3 bars it's kinda hard to meet people. How you supposed to reach out when you never cross paths.

He's preaching on prayer this Sunday. He spent all of yesterday afternoon typing up a list of everybody in town so that he can start praying for them. He's really getting a fire going for this town and that's good to see. If I could get one going that would be good, I've been kinda ho-hum lately. He's been reading 12 pages a day in his Bible. He's trying to get the whole thing read in under 100 days. I've fallen a little behind since I don't read as much as he does. He's into Deuteronomy and I'm still in Exodus. I'll catch up... in a few months.

We've started a study in 3 of the minor prophets for ladies Bible study so that's where my reading has been. James is going to try a men's bible study as well next month. Hopefully he'll have a good turn out for that. Evidently they haven't tried a men's bible study before. I love the fact that he doesn't have to drive to lincoln every day for class this semester. His stress level has been way down which has been super nice and we've had more time to do other things. The youth group is finally warming up to us and relaxing around us and starting to open up to us. That's also super nice. Sometimes we wonder what we're supposed to be doing, but it seems like we're doing well for the time being. God IS Good!

No comments:

Mrs. McMillionaire