Sunday, January 4, 2009

You Know You're a Preacher's Wife When...

Here's a fun list I found posted on another Preacher's Wife blog. It's really quite accrate.

You know you’re a pastor’s wife when…

1. ...you are rarely referred to by your given name. You are most often “The Pastor’s Wife” or a variation on that theme (”Pastor ______’s Wife,” “Married to the Pastor,” etc.). You may even be called “The First Lady” Yeah... I noticed that I sort of lost my own identity when we began this gig as Preacher and Preacher's Wife... it took some getting used to. This mostly happens when I get introduced to people.

2. You know you’re a pastor’s wife when… people act weird around you. (this is her story... I was once in a conversation with a group of adults when one woman said, “Yeah, I haven’t been to church in a while.” As soon as she said it, she looked at me with an “I’ve been caught” look and then she said, “Oops…busted.” For the record, I don’t take attendance. I am not a babysitter. And my general feeling is that adults can and should make their own decision about if and when they attend church. Heck, it takes all my energy to make sure I make it to church let alone the rest of the population.) I agree with her conclusion to the matter. I've not been at it long enough for too many people to act wierd around me... but they do act different around both of us. I don't get why people think we're supposed to be soooo much holier than they are.

3. "You know you’re a pastor’s wife when…you relate best to anyone NOT in your church. This is largely due to #2, however it’s also because you don’t know how to deal with the I - have - no - idea - how - much - to - share - with - you - about - my - personal - life - because - it - will - most - likely - involve - issues - about - my - husband - leaving - his - underwear - around - (or something similar) - and - my - husband - is - your - pastor - and - you - probably - don’t - want - to - hear - about - his - underwear." "ding ding ding..." this one takes the cake for me. I couldn't have said it better than this. It's hard to keep my mouth shut when he's driving me up the wall.

4. You know you’re a pastor’s wife when…you wish you had a dime for every time someone claims your husband said something that he never said. If you did, you would be a very, very rich woman. And if you had another dime for every time what he supposedly said was ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS and UTTERLY STUPID, you’d double your money.

5. You know you’re a pastor’s wife when…”rich” (monetarily speaking) is not in your vocabulary. Never has been. Never will.

6. You know you’re a pastor’s wife when…you’re either extremely uncomfortable or extremely gleeful (depending on your personality) when you’re in a conversation with someone who uses lots of four-letter words and then asks you the question, “So, what does your husband do?” Gotta love it when this happens.

7. You know you're a pastor's wife when... you're sitting around the dinner table with a room full of capable people and your husband is asked to pray because he's a "professional". Come on people... there's no such thing as a professional prayer.

Isn't that a fun list. I changed a few words but my added comments are in blue.

Have a great week everybody.

1 comment:

Stacy Peacock said...

I must admit that last one is extremely funny to me! I thought it was always supposed to be the oldest person in the room to pray...hehehe

Mrs. McMillionaire